CHIEF MASTER SERGEANT JUDITH L. MCGRATH
Chief Master Sergeant Judith L. McGrath is the Command Chief Master Sergeant in the 171st Air Refueling Wing, Coraopolis, Pa. As the command chief she serves as the advisor to the commander on all issues regarding the welfare, readiness, morale and progress of the enlisted force.
Chief McGrath enlisted in the United States Air Force in February 1979 and graduated from Aircraft Maintenance Specialist Course July 1979. The chief served on active duty for four years with the 380th Organizational Maintenance Squadron at Plattsburgh Air Force Base, N.Y. She joined the Air National Guard, 171st Air Refueling Wing in October 2004 as a KC-135 aircraft mechanic. In the maintenance squadron, she also worked in the Maintenance Operations Center as a maintenance controller and in Quality Assurance as an aircraft maintenance inspector. In 1997 she accepted a position in the ground safety office and was selected as the occupational safety manager in 2000. In May 2016, Chief McGrath was appointed the Mission Support Group Superintendent. In December 2018 she was selected as the command chief. Chief McGrath travelled in support of numerous Tanker Task Force missions and has deployed in support of Operation Deny Flight and Operation Deep Freeze.
Currently, the chief is a casual lecturer in the Department of Flight and Aviation at Southern Illinois University at Carbondale, Ill.
1986 Airman Leadership School, McGhee-Tyson Air National Guard Base, Tenn.
1986 Associate, Aircraft Maintenance Technology, Community College of the Air Force
1986 Bachelor of Science, Industrial Technology, Southern Illinois University at Carbondale
1988 Noncommissioned Officer Academy, McGhee-Tyson ANGB, Tenn.
1992 Federal Aviation Administration Airframe and Powerplant Certification
1994 Senior Noncommissioned Officer Academy, by correspondence
2005 Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) authorized general industry outreach trainer
2011 Associate, Occupational Safety, CCAF
2012 Professional Manager Certification, CCAF
2014 Master of Science, Safety Sciences, Indiana University of Pennsylvania
2016 Senior Enlisted Joint Professional Military Education I, by correspondence
2016 Chiefs Executive Course, Joint Base Andrews, Md.
2018 Contemporary Base Issues Course, Fort Indiantown Gap, Pa.
1. February 1979–April 1979, Trainee, 3708th Basic Military Training Squadron, Lackland Air Force Base, Texas
2. April 1979–July 1979, Student, 82nd Training Group, Sheppard AFB, Texas
3. July 1979–September 1983, Assistant Crew Chief, 380th Bombardment Wing, Plattsburgh AFB, N.Y.
4. September 1984–October 1985, Assistant Crew Chief, 171st Air Refueling Wing, Coraopolis, Pa.
5. October 1985–October 1989, Job Control Technician, 171ARW, Coraopolis, Pa.
6. October 1989–February 1994, Quality Assurance Aircraft Maintenance Inspector, 171ARW, Coraopolis, Pa.
7. February 1994–February 2016, Safety NCOIC/Superintendent, 171ARW, Coraopolis, Pa.
8. February 2016–December 2018, Mission Support Group Superintendent, 171ARW, Coraopolis, Pa.
9. December 2018–current, Command Chief, 171ARW, Coraopolis, Pa.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Air Force Meritorious Service Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal
Antarctica Service Medal
Armed Forces Service Medal
Pennsylvania Commendation Medal with star
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Staff Sergeant Sept. 2, 1985
Technical Sergeant April 1, 1987
Master Sergeant Dec.1, 1991
Senior Master Sergeant Nov. 8, 1994
Chief Master Sergeant May 6, 2016
(Current as of January 2019)