Colonel Raymond L. Hyland Jr. is the Maintenance Group Commander for the 171st Air Refueling Wing, Pennsylvania Air National Guard, Coraopolis, Pa. He directs more than 400 personnel assigned to the 171st Maintenance Group, the 171st Aircraft Maintenance Squadron, the 171st Maintenance Squadron and the 171st Maintenance Operations Flight.
Colonel Hyland received his commission in 1989 after graduating as a distinguished graduate from the Air Force ROTC program at Kent State University, Ohio. He completed undergraduate pilot training at Vance AFB, Okla. in 1991. His first operational assignment was as a KC-135Q pilot assigned to the 380th Air Refueling Squadron, Plattsburgh AFB, N.Y.
In 1999 Colonel Hyland joined the Pennsylvania Air National Guard as a KC-135E Aircraft Commander. After numerous assignments in the Operations Group and Wing, Colonel Hyland became Commander of the 171st Operational Support Squadron in 2004, followed by becoming the 147th Air Refueling Squadron Operations Officer, then the 146th Air Refueling Squadron Commander. In 2013 he served as the Interim 171st Operations Group Commander. He moved to the 171st Maintenance Group in 2014 and served as the 171st Aircraft Maintenance Squadron Commander followed by the 171st Maintenance Group Deputy Commander. Effective June, 2016 Colonel Hyland assumed command of the 171st Maintenance Group.
1989 Bachelor of Science Aerospace Flight Technology, Kent State University
1995 Squadron Officer School, by correspondence
1996 KC-135 Aircraft Commander Course, Altus AFB, Okla.
1996 Squadron Officer School, in residence
1997 Combat Flight Instructor Course, Altus AFB, Okla.
2002 Air Command and Staff College, by seminar
2007 Master of Science in Strategic Leadership, Mountain State University, W. Va.
2009 Air War College, by correspondence
2015 Aircraft Maintenance Officer Course Sheppard, AFB, Texas
1. June 1990 - September 1991, Student, Undergraduate Pilot Training, Vance AFB, Okla.
2. September 1991 - January 1992, KC-135 Combat Crew Training School, Castle AFB, Calif.
3. January 1991 - October 1994, KC-135Q/T Pilot, 380th ARW, Plattsburgh AFB, N.Y.
4. October 1994 - June 1999, KC-135R/T Aircraft Commander / Instructor / Evaluator Pilot, 319th ARW, Grand Forks AFB, N.D.
5. June 1999 - July 2001, Wing Plans, 171st Air Refueling Wing, Coraopolis, Pa.
6. July 2001 - April 2004, Evaluator Pilot , 171st Operations Group, Coraopolis, Pa.
7. April 2004 - June 2006, Commander, 171st Operations Support Squadron, Coraopolis, Pa.
8. June 2006 - December 2013, Operations Officer, 147th Air Refueling Squadron, Coraopolis, Pa.
9. December 2013 - Nov 2014, Commander, 146th Air Refueling Squadron, Coraopolis, Pa.
10. December 2013 - Sep 2014 Interim Commander, 171st Operations Group, Coraopolis, Pa.
11. November 2014 - June 2016 Deputy Commander, 171st Maintenance Group, Coraopolis, Pa.
12. June 2016 - Present, Commander 171st Maintenance Group, Coraopolis, Pa.
Rating: Command Pilot
Flight Hours: More than 5,000
Aircraft Flown: T-37, T-38, C-12, KC-135A, KC-135Q, KC-135E, KC-135R, KC135T, F-16D
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Air Force Achievement Medal
Meritorious Unit Award with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award / Valor with three oak leaf clusters
Combat Readiness Medal with two silver oak leaf clusters
National Defense Service Medal with one bronze star
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal
Southwest Asia Service Medal with one bronze star
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal with one bronze star
Armed Forces Service Medal
Humanitarian Service Medal
Air and Space Campaign Medal
Nuclear Deterrence Operations Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Expeditionary Service Ribbon with gold border and one silver oak leaf cluster
Air Force Longevity Service Award with silver leaf cluster
Armed Forces Reserve Medal with 5 ‘M’ devices
Small Arms Expert Marksmanship
Air Force Training Ribbon
Pennsylvania Governors Unit Citation
Pennsylvania Major General Thomas R. White, Jr. Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Pennsylvania General Thomas J. Stewart Medal with two oak leaf clusters
EFFECTIVE DATE OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant, Aug. 18, 1989
First Lieutenant, Jan. 8, 1992
Captain, Jan. 8, 1994
Major, July 25, 2000
Lieutenant Colonel, Aug. 1, 2006
Colonel, Dec. 7, 2016
(Current as of June 2017)