Col. Raymond L. Hyland Jr. is the commander of the 171st Air Refueling Wing, Pennsylvania Air National Guard, Coraopolis, to include the wing’s geographically separated unit, the 258th Air Traffic Control Squadron, Johnstown, Pennsylvania. As Wing Commander, he administers and supervises the wing and its subordinate units, ensures combat readiness in the mobilization missions of units under his command and is responsible for the operation and maintenance of the Air National Guard property and facilities at the Pittsburgh International Airport and the Johnstown-Cambria County Airport.
Col. Hyland received his commission in 1989 after graduating as a distinguished graduate from the Air Force ROTC program at Kent State University, Ohio. He completed undergraduate pilot training at Vance AFB, Okla. in 1991. His first operational assignment was as a KC-135Q pilot assigned to the 380th Air Refueling Squadron, Plattsburgh AFB, N.Y.
In 1999 Col. Hyland joined the Pennsylvania Air National Guard as a KC-135E Aircraft Commander. After numerous assignments in the Operations Group and Wing, Col. Hyland became Commander of the 171st Operational Support Squadron in 2004, followed by the 147th Air Refueling Squadron Operations Officer, the 146th Air Refueling Squadron Commander and in 2013 the Interim 171st Operations Group Commander. In 2014 he moved to the 171st Maintenance Group as the 171st AMXS Commander followed by the 171st Maintenance Group Deputy Commander. In March 2020 Col. Hyland became the Vice Wing Commander of the 171st Air Refueling Wing, a position he held until taking command of the Wing in May 2021.
1989 Bachelor of Science Aerospace Flight Technology, Kent State University, Kent, Ohio
1995 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala., by correspondence
1996 KC-135 Aircraft Commander Course, Altus AFB, Okla.
1996 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1997 Combat Flight Instructor Course, Altus AFB, Okla.
2002 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2007 Master of Science in Strategic Leadership, Mountain State University, W.Va.
2009 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2015 Aircraft Maintenance Officer Course, Sheppard AFB, Texas
2018 ANG Commander’s Development Course, Air National Guard Base HQ. Md.
2018 USAF Safety and Accident Investigation Board President Course, ANGB HQ, Md.
2019 JTF Commander’s Training Course, NORAD/NORTHCOM, Colo.
2019 Dual Status Commander Course, NORAD/NORTHCOM, Colo.
2020 Lean Six Sigma Yellow Belt Certification, Penn State University, Pa.
1. June 1990 - September 1991, Student, Undergraduate Pilot Training, Vance AFB, Okla.
2. September 1991 - January 1992, KC-135 Combat Crew Training School, Castle AFB, Calif.
3. January 1991-October 1994, KC-135Q/T Pilot, 380th ARW, Plattsburgh AFB, N.Y.
4. October 1994-June 1999, KC-135R/T Aircraft Commander / Instructor / Evaluator Pilot, 319th ARW, Grand Forks AFB, N.D.
5. June 1999-July 2001, Wing Plans, 171st Air Refueling Wing, Coraopolis, Pa.
6. July 2001-April 2004, Evaluator Pilot, 171st Operations Group, Coraopolis, Pa.
7. April 2004-June 2006, Commander, 171st Operations Support Squadron, Coraopolis, Pa.
8. June 2006-December 2013, Operations Officer, 147th Air Refueling Squadron, Coraopolis, Pa.
9. December 2013-Nov 2014, Commander, 146th Air Refueling Squadron, Coraopolis, Pa.
10. December 2013-Sep 2014 Interim Commander, 171st Operations Group, Coraopolis, Pa.
11. November 2014-June 2016 Deputy Commander, 171st Maintenance Group, Coraopolis, Pa.
12. June 2016-March 2020, Commander 171st Maintenance Group, Coraopolis, Pa.
13. March 2020-May 2021, Vice Wing Commander, 171st Air Refueling Wing, Coraopolis, Pa.
14. May 2021-Present, Wing Commander, 171st Air Refueling Wing, Coraopolis, Pa.
Rating: Command Pilot
Flight hours: More than 5200
Aircraft flown: T-37, T-38, KC-135A, KC-135Q, C-12, F-16D, KC-135T, KC-135R, KC135E
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Achievement Medal
EFFECTIVE DATE OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant August 18, 1989
First Lieutenant January 8, 1992
Captain January 8, 1994
Major July 25, 2000
Lieutenant Colonel August 1, 2006
Colonel December 7, 2016
(Current as of May 2021)