Chief Master Sergeant Charles W. Wiley is the Command Chief of the 171st Air Refueling Wing, Coraopolis, Pennsylvania. As the Command Chief, he is a key advisor to the wing commander and senior staff regarding matters of military readiness, mission effectiveness, professional development, unit health, morale and the overall welfare of the wing’s enlisted force.
Chief Wiley enlisted in the U.S. Army in August 1987. He completed his basic and advanced individual training at Fort Leonard Wood, Missouri and served as a Motor Transport Operator in a variety of positions within the U.S. Army Transportation Corps. His duty assignments included 301st Transportation Company, Fort Ord, California, Delta Company 44th Engineers, Korea, 514th Maintenance Company and 57th Transportation Company, Fort Drum, New York and 68th Transportation Company, Germany. Upon completion of his active duty, he enlisted with the 171st Air Refueling Wing, Pennsylvania Air National Guard in March 1999 where he continued to serve in multiple roles including Vehicle Operator, Vehicle Fleet Management & Analysis NCO, Logistics Plans NCO, Traffic Management Superintendent, LRS Squadron Superintendent, Vehicle Management Chief Enlisted Manager and Operations Group Superintendent. Additionally, Chief Wiley has served in several operational assignments overseas, stateside and deployed to Operations DESERT SHIELD and DESERT STORM, NOBLE EAGLE, ENDURING FREEDOM, IRAQI FREEDOM and GLOBAL GUARDIAN.
Prior to assuming his current position, Chief Wiley served as the Group Superintendent for the 171st Operations Group, Pennsylvania Air National Guard.
1987 Advance Individual Training, Motor Transport Operator Course, Fort Leonard Wood, Mo.
1991 Primary Leadership Development Course, Fort Drum, N.Y.
1992 Army Maintenance Management System Course, Fort Drum, N.Y.
2000 Vehicle Maintenance Control & Analysis Apprentice Course, Port Hueneme, Calif.
2002 Vehicle Maintenance Control & Analysis Craftsman Course, Port Hueneme, Calif.
2002 Non Commissioned Officer Academy, McGhee-Tyson Air National Guard Base, Tenn.
2003 Vehicle Operations Craftsman Course, Sheppard Air Force Base, Texas
2004 Logistics Plans Apprentice Course, Lackland AFB, Texas
2006 Logistic Plans Craftsman Course, Lackland AFB, Texas
2008 Senior Non Commissioned Officer Academy Course Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2008 Senior Enlisted Joint PME Course, Joint Forces Staff College, Va., by correspondence
2016 Senior Enlisted Joint PME I Course, by correspondence
2017 Chief Master Sergeant’s Executive Course, Joint Base Andrews, Md.
2019 Federal Fleet Manager Certification, U.S. General Services Administration
2019 Demonstrated Master Logistician Certification, International Society of Logistics
2019 Senior Enlisted Joint PME II Course, by correspondence
2019 Associates degree in Maintenance Production Management, Community College of the Air Force
2020 Professional Deployment/Distribution/Transportation Level I & II Certification, U.S. Air Force
2020 ANG Command Chief Master Sergeant Training Course, Joint Base San Antonio, Texas
1. August 1987–October 1987, Student, Basic Military Training, Fort Leonard Wood, Mo.
2. October 1987–December 1987, Student, Motor Transport Operator Course, Fort Leonard Wood, Mo.
3. January 1988–March 1989, Motor Transport Operator, 301st Transportation Company, Fort Ord, Calif.
4. March 1989–March 1990, Motor Transport Operator, Delta Company 44th Engineers, Camp Indian, Korea
5. April 1990–December 1990, Heavy Wheeled Vehicle Operator, 514th Maintenance Company, Fort Drum N.Y. (August 1990-December 1990, Heavy Wheeled Vehicle Operator, 1st COSCOM Saudi Arabia)
6. January 1990–June 1992, NCOIC Dispatch Operations, 57th Transportation Company, Fort Drum N.Y. (January 1991–April 1991, Heavy Wheeled Vehicle Operator, 18th Airborne Corps Saudi Arabia)
7. July 1992–March 1995, Squad Leader/ NCOIC Dispatch/ NCOIC Postal Transportation Operations, 68th Transportation Company, Mannheim, Germany
8. March 1999–November 2001, Vehicle Operator, 171st Air Refueling Wing, Pennsylvania Air National Guard Coraopolis, Pa.
9. November 2001–March 2003, Vehicle Maintenance Control & Analysis Craftsman, 171st ARW, Coraopolis, Pa.
10. April 2003–February 2007, Logistics Plans NCO, 171st ARW, Coraopolis, Pa.
11. March 2007–July 2008, Traffic Management Superintendent, 171st ARW, Coraopolis, Pa.
12. August 2008–June 2020, Vehicle Management Chief Enlisted Manager, 171st ARW, Coraopolis, Pa. (July 2010–July 2012, Squadron Superintendent, 171st Logistics Readiness Squadron)
13. September 2017–June 2020, 171st Operations Group Superintendent, 171st ARW, Coraopolis, Pa.
14. July 2020-Present, Command Chief, 171st ARW, Coraopolis, Pa.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal with bronze oak leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal with bronze oak leaf cluster
Army Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal
Army Achievement Medal with two bronze oak leaf clusters
STATE AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Pennsylvania Commendation Medal with bronze oak leaf cluster
Pennsylvania Governors Unit Citation
Pennsylvania Service Medal
Pennsylvania Maj Gen Thomas R. White, Jr. Medal
Pennsylvania Recruiting and Retention Medal
Pennsylvania Gen Thomas J. Stewart Medal with one bronze oak leaf cluster
Enlisted Association of the National Guard of the United States
National Guard Association of Pennsylvania
Veterans of Foreign Wars, Post 402, Life Member
American Legion, Post 924
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Private Aug. 6, 1987
Private First Class April 1, 1988
Specialist Sept. 1, 1988
Corporal Nov. 22, 1991
Sergeant June 1, 1992
Staff Sergeant March 27, 1999
Technical Sergeant Jan. 10, 2003
Master Sergeant March 12, 2007
Senior Master Sergeant May 4, 2009
Chief Master Sergeant May 13, 2011
(Current as of September 2020)