Col. Mark A. Goodwill is the commander of the 171st Air Refueling Wing, Pennsylvania Air National Guard, Coraopolis, to include the wing’s geographically separated unit, the 258th Air Traffic Control Squadron, Johnstown, Pennsylvania. As Wing Commander, he administers and supervises the wing and its subordinate units, ensures combat readiness in the mobilization missions of units under his command and is responsible for the operation and maintenance of the Air National Guard property and facilities at the Pittsburgh International Airport and the Johnstown-Cambria County Airport.
Col. Goodwill received his commission in 1987 after graduating from the Air Force ROTC program at Pennsylvania State University. He completed specialized undergraduate navigator training at Mather AFB, California in 1988. His first operational assignment was as a KC-135R navigator, assigned to the 91st Air Refueling Squadron, Malmstrom AFB, Montana.
In 1991, Col. Goodwill joined the Pennsylvania Air National Guard as a KC-135E navigator. Following various Operations Group assignments, Col. Goodwill became Commander of 171st Logistics Readiness Squadron before assuming command of the Aircraft Maintenance Squadron. In December 2013 Col. Goodwill became the 171st Mission Support Group commander, a position he held until taking command of the Wing in November 2017.
1987 Bachelor of Science degree, Pennsylvania State University
1996 Squadron Officer School, by correspondence
1999 Master of Arts degree, California University of Pennsylvania
2001 Air Command and Staff College, by correspondence
2009 Air War College, by correspondence
2010 Air Force Aircraft Mishap Investigation Course, Kirtland AFB, N.M.
2014 Air Force Incident Managers Course, Minneapolis, Minn.
2014 DoD Defense Support of Civil Authorities Phase II, Colorado Springs, Colo.
2015 Domestic Joint Task Force Commander’s Training Course, Colorado Springs, Colo.
2018 Level IV Antiterrorism Executive Seminar, Tysons Corner, Va.
2019 Reserve Component National Security Course, National Defense University, Washington, D.C.
1. December 1987–March 1988, Student, undergraduate navigator training, Mather AFB, Calif.
2. April 1988–March 1989, Student, Tanker, Transport, Bomber School, Mather AFB, Calif.
3. March 1989–July 1991, KC-135R navigator, 91st Air Refueling Squadron, Malmstrom AFB, Mont.
4. July 1991–March 1992, KC-135 navigator, 147th Air Refueling Squadron, Coraopolis, Pa.
5. March 1992–September 1993, squadron scheduling, 112th Air Refueling Group, Coraopolis, Pa.
6. October 1993–February 1994, squadron scheduling, 171st Air Refueling Wing, Coraopolis, Pa.
7. February 1994–February 1999, KC-135 navigator, 146th Air Refueling Squadron, Coraopolis, Pa.
8. February 1999–August 1999, navigator standardization and evaluation, 171st Operations Group, Coraopolis, Pa.
9. August 1999–January 2004, KC-135 navigator, 171st Operations Group, Coraopolis, Pa.
10. January 2004–January 2006, Chief, logistics plans, 171st Logistics Readiness Squadron, Coraopolis, Pa.
11. January 2006–October 2006, Commander, 171st Logistics Readiness Squadron, Coraopolis, Pa.
12. October 2006–November 2007, Maintenance Officer, 171st Aircraft Maintenance Squadron, Coraopolis, Pa.
13. November 2007–December 2013, Commander, 171st Aircraft Maintenance Squadron, Coraopolis, Pa.
14. December 2013–November 2017, Commander, 171st Mission Support Group, Coraopolis, Pa.
15. November 2017–Present, Wing Commander, 171st Air Refueling Wing, Coraopolis, Pa.
Rating: Master Navigator
Flight Hours: More than 3,800
Aircraft Flown: T-37, T-43A, KC-135A, KC-135E, KC-135R
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Air Force Achievement Medal
Meritorious Unit Award
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with six oak leaf clusters
Combat Readiness Medal with five oak leaf clusters
Air Reserve Forces Meritorious Service Medal with eight oak leaf clusters
National Defense Service Medal with service star
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal
Southwest Asia Service Medal with two service stars
Kosovo Campaign Medal with service star
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Armed Forces Service Medal with service star
Humanitarian Service Medal with service star
Military Outstanding Volunteer Service Medal
Air & Space Campaign Medal
Nuclear Deterrence Operations Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Longevity service Ribbon with five oak leaf cluster
Armed Forces Reserve Medal with two “M” devices and silver hourglass
Small Arms Expert Ribbon
NATO Service Medal
Kuwait Liberation Medal Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
Kuwait Liberation Medal Government of Kuwait
EFFECTIVE DATE OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 15, 1987
First Lieutenant Aug. 23, 1989
Captain May 13, 1992
Major May 18, 1996
Lieutenant Colonel Feb. 3, 2002
Colonel Jan. 17, 2014
(Current as of February 2020)