Well-traveled, well-deserved welcome home!
By 1st Lt. Jeremy Ketter, 171st Civil Engineering Squadron
/ Published April 09, 2011
April 2011 -- After traveling the world, four members of civil engineering arrived at their final destination, the Pittsburgh International Airport, April 1. Tech. Sgt. Michael Fetterman, Staff Sgt's Joe Lizon and Joe Meehan and Senior Airman Pete Malich were greeted by many family members and friends, as well as media.
The group left Pittsburgh the last week of August 2010 for three weeks of combat skills training at Ft. McCoy, Wis. from there they deployed to be a part of the 1st Expeditionary Red Horse Group based at Al Udeid Air Base, Qatar, which is the hub of operations for the entire area. From Qatar they traveled to several locations for different construction projects:
- Manas Air Station, Kyrgyzstan for two months where they worked on a hot cargo pad airfield extension, which included placing 4,000 cubic yards of concrete
- Dwyer in Southern Afghanistan for one month to construct an airfield connector
- Thumrait, Oman for two months to repair heavily damaged 27 acre war ready materials storage area that was damaged by heavy flooding
- Al Dhafra Air Base, UAE for one month to construct several miles of road
- Al Udeid Air Base, Qatar for one month to construct loading dock to offload differing types of military vehicles.