Chief Master Sergeant Albert A. Ryan is the 171st Mission Support Group Superintendent assigned to the 171st Mission Support Group, Pennsylvania Air National Guard. He is the principle advisor to the 171st Mission Support Group commander on matters of health, welfare and morale, professional development, and effective utilization of approximately 500 enlisted personnel assigned to the Group.
Chief Ryan enlisted in the U.S. Air Force in May 1989 and was assigned to the 366th Equipment Maintenance Squadron as an F-111 crew chief. Prior to completing his active duty career, he used the Palace Chase program to join the Pennsylvania Air National Guard in March 1992 as a KC-135 crew chief. In May 2006, he crossed trained to the Maintenance Management Analyst career field. In February 2020, he was selected as the 171st Mission Support Group Superintendent. He has participated in multiple operations overseas and stateside in direct support of Operations SOUTHCOM, AIR EXPEDITIONARY FORCE, IRAQI FREEDOM and ENDURING FREEDOM, and Hurricane Katrina. Prior to assuming his current position, Chief Ryan served as the Maintenance Management Superintendent for the 171st Maintenance Operations Flight, Pennsylvania Air National Guard.
In his civilian capacity, Mr. Ryan is employed as an Air Refueling Maintenance Management Analyst at the 171st Air Refueling Wing, Pennsylvania Air National Guard. He is responsible for analyzing Management Information Systems data using applied statistical techniques and presents recommendations to senior managers.
1989 Basic Military Training, Lackland Air Force Base, Texas
1996 USAF Noncommissioned Officer Preparatory Course, by correspondence
2000 Bachelor of Science, Management Information Systems, Slippery Rock University, Pa.
2005 USAF Noncommissioned Officer Academy Course, by correspondence
2012 A.A.S. Aviation Maintenance Technology, Community College of the Air Force, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2012 A.A.S. Maintenance Production Management, Community College of the Air Force, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2013 USAF Senior Noncommissioned Officer Academy Course, by correspondence
2020 Lean Six Sigma Yellow Belt Course, Pittsburgh, Pa.
2020 Senior Enlisted Joint PME I Course, by correspondence
2020 Chief Master Sergeants Orientation Course, by correspondence
1. May 1989, Student, Basic Military Training, Lackland AFB, Texas
2. July 1989, Student, Technical Training School, Sheppard AFB, Texas
3. September 1989, Student, Field Training Detachment, Cannon AFB, Clovis, N.M.
4. November 1989–March 1990, Aircraft Maintenance Specialist, 366th Equipment Maintenance Squadron, Mountain Home AFB, Idaho
5. February 1991–June 1992, Aircraft Maintenance Tech/High Lift Section, Mountain Home AFB, Idaho
6. June 1992–February 2006, Aircraft Mechanic, 171st Air Refueling Wing, Maintenance Squadron, Pennsylvania Air National Guard, Pittsburgh, Pa.
7. February 2006–December 2011, Maintenance Data Analyst, 171st Air Refueling Wing, Maintenance Operations Flight, PANG, Pittsburgh, Pa. (March 2006–June 2006, Student, Technical Training School, Sheppard AFB, Texas), (April 2010–July 2010, Maintenance Data Analyst, Al Udeid Air Base, Doha, Qatar)
8. December 2011–March 2020, Maintenance Management Superintendent, 171st ARW, Maintenance Operations Flight, PANG, Pittsburgh, Pa.
9. March 2020–Present, Mission Support Group Superintendent, 171st ARW, Mission Support Group, PANG, Pittsburgh, Pa.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal
STATE AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Pennsylvania Meritorious Service Medal with bronze oak leaf cluster
Pennsylvania Commendation Medal
Pennsylvania Governors Unit Citation with two bronze oak leaf clusters
Pennsylvania Maj Gen Thomas R. White, Jr. Medal
Pennsylvania Gen Thomas J. Stewart Medal with bronze oak leaf cluster
2005 Federal Executive Board Bronze Award, Outstanding Web Development, Pittsburgh, Pa.
2006 Maintenance Management Analysis Distinguished Graduate, Sheppard AFB, Texas
2008 Federal Executive Board Bronze Award, Outstanding Technical Employee, Pittsburgh, Pa.
2016 Federal Executive Board Bronze Award, Distinguished Nominee, Pittsburgh, Pa.
EFFECTIVE DATE OF PROMOTION
Airman Basic May 18, 1989
Airman Nov. 18, 1989
Airman First Class Sept. 18, 1990
Senior Airman Oct. 1, 1992
Staff Sergeant Dec. 12, 1996
Technical Sergeant April 17, 2003
Master Sergeant March 5, 2010
Senior Master Sergeant Sept. 11, 2013
Chief Master Sergeant March 16, 2020
(Current as of March 2021)